E. Leon Carter is a principal of Carter Arnett. Leon has over 25 years of trial and litigation experience working with an impressive client list. Leon is a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, the International Society of Barristers, the Litigation Counsel of America, and the International Academy of Trial Lawyers. In 2007, Leon was named by the Dallas Business Journal to "The Defenders - One of the Top 15 Business-Defense Lawyers in the D-FW Metroplex." In 2007, Leon also was selected as one of Lawdragon's 500 Leading Lawyers in America. Since 2010, Leon has been selected for inclusion in Thomson Reuters' Super Lawyers® Top 100 Lawyers in Texas. Recently, Leon was listed in The Best Lawyers in America® in six areas: Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, Labor & Employment Litigation, First Amendment Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, and Patent Litigation.
Leon has served as a Dallas County Assistant District Attorney and as an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Texas. He has also served as an adjunct professor at The University of Texas at Arlington and SMU's Dedman School of Law. He has provided legal analysis for Court TV, a CBS affiliate and a FOX affiliate.
After serving as Assistant District Attorney, Leon joined the law firm of Jackson Walker, L.L.P. where he became a Senior Partner in the litigation section. His experience includes representing plaintiffs and defendants in the areas of commercial litigation, products liability, patent litigation, First Amendment, labor and employment, and redistricting. He has appeared in a variety of state and federal courts and has tried more than 100 civil and criminal cases to a jury.
Honors and Distinctions:
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (membership by invitation only)
- State Committee Member, 2011 - present
- National Trial Competition Committee, 2009 - present
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America (membership by invitation only)
- Fellow, International Society of Barristers (membership by invitation only)
- Fellow, International Academy of Trial Lawyers (membership by invitation only)
- Associate, American Board of Trial Advocates (membership by invitation only)
- Executive Committee, 2016
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel
- Chambers USA, Ranked in Litigation, 2009 - 2015
- Selected for inclusion in Thomson Reuters' Super Lawyers® (Texas), 2007-2017
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® 2012-2017 in six categories: Bet-the-Company Litigation, Commercial Litigation, First Amendment Litigation, Labor & Employment Litigation, Intellectual Property Litigation, and Patent Litigation
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” for First Amendment Litigation, 2017
- Selected by the Dallas Business Journal as one of the Top 15 Business Defense Lawyers in the DFW Metroplex
- Selected for inclusion in the Top 500 Lawyers in the United States by Lawdragon
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ (5.0 out of 5) Peer Review Rating
- Director of the Dallas Bar Association, 2008-2010
- Member of the Committee for a Qualified Judiciary, 2009-present
- Recipient of the Dallas Bar Association's Martin Luther King Jr. Justice Award, 2011
- Named to D Magazine Best Lawyers, 2009-2016
Professional Associations and Community Involvement:
- Judge T. John Ward Inn of Court, Charter Member
- Judge Barbara M. G. Lynn IP Inn of Court, Charter Member and Master
- State Bar of Texas
- Director, 2014-2017
- Executive Committee - Litigation Council, 2005-2011
- Texas Appleseed, Board of Directors, 2015
- Judge Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court, Past Member
- Dallas Bar Association
- Judiciary Committee, Past Co-Chair
- Dallas Bar Foundation, Life Fellow
- Past Chair
- Collin County Bar Association, Member
- Harrison County Bar Association Member
- Camp John Marc, Past Board Member
- Vickery Meadows Learning Center, Past Board Member
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Past Board Member
- Leadership Dallas Past Member, Class 2000
- Martin Luther King Center, Past Chair of the Board
- Volunteer Center of Dallas County, Past Board Member
- Dallas Subcommittee of the Unauthorized Practice of Law, Past Board Member
- Intensive Trial Advocacy Course, Visiting Faculty, Notre Dame Law School, South Bend, Indiana, 2009-2014, 2016
- Distinguished Alumnus of ETBU, 2010
- Hall of Fame Inductee of Carthage High School, 2010
Published Works and Speaking Engagements:
- “Opening Statements and Closing Arguments without Violating the Golden Rule,” Moderator, Trial Skills Training Camp, UT CLE, May 2014
- "Top Ten Issues in Intellectual Property Law," State Bar of Texas Business Torts Institute, 2012
- "Top Ten IP Issues," Dallas Bar Association, 2012
- "Legal Action on the Go: The Patent Rocket Docket," SmartBusiness Dallas, June 2007
- "How to Select a Jury for a Corporate Client: Overcoming Jury Bias"
- "Discovery About Experts Under the New Rules"
- "Discovery Regarding Expert Witnesses"
- "Expert Testimony in Texas Courts"
- "Government Authorities Use of Subpoenaing to Obtain Financial Records: How Far Can They Go?"
- "Preparing a Client (or Witness) for Deposition"
- "How to Offer and Exclude Evidence - Evidence Tampering and Destruction"